Ph.D. Application Requirements
Criteria for admission to our Ph.D. program:
Students with a strong background in chemical engineering or related field are encouraged to apply.
- A bachelor of science degree in chemical engineering, or closely related field (another engineering field, chemistry, etc).
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Our most competitive applicants have a GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale, or 88% out of 100% or 1st Class with Distinction.
- If applicable, a graduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Competitve GRE scores:
- Our most competitive applicants have scores of at least Verbal = 158 (75%), Quantitative = 160 (75%), and Analytical Writing = 4.0.
- TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores for all international applicants.
- Our most competitive applicants have scores of at lest 100 (TOEFL iBT) or 240 (computer based). IELTS: 8.0 or MELAB: 86
- WE PREFER THE TOEFL TEST
- The minimum TOEFL score required by OSU: 79, IELTS: 7.0, MELAB: 82
- You are exempt if you are a citizen in one of the following countries: Australia, Belize, British Caribbeah, British West Indies, Canada (except Quebec), England, Guyana, Ireland, Liberia, New Zeland, Scotland, Wales, and The United States.
- If you receive a 4 year bachelor's degree or higher from a US institution or one of the countries listed above, you are exempt from the TOEFL requirement.
For those students who are in the U.S. and are admitted to our PhD program, there will be a department visitaiton February 27-29, 2020. If you cannot attend during this time an individual visit can be arranged. More information will be sent out in January.
Average Test Scores for 2019 incoming Ph.D. students
Prerequisites for non chemical engineering majors:
We do occasionally admit students who have undergraduate degrees in subjects other than chemical engineering. However, these students will need to take make-up course work to succeed in our graduate program. These students must take the following undergraduate courses or have equivalent coursework in the following subject areas:
- Thermodynamics: CBE 3508
- Transport Phenomena (Momentum and Mass Transfers): CBE 2420 and 3521
- Chemical Engineering Kinetics: CBE 3610
- Engineering Mathematics (Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations): Math 2177 or equivalent