Ph.D. Application Requirements
Critera for admission to our Ph.D. program:
Students with a strong background in chemical engineering or related field are encouraged to apply.
- A bachelor of science degree in chemical engineering, or closely related field (another engineering field, chemistry, etc).
- An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Our most competitive applicants have a GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale, or 88% out of 100% or 1st Class with Distinction.
- If applicable, a graduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Competitve GRE scores:
- Our most competitive applicants have scores of at least Verbal = 158 (75%), Quantitative = 160 (75%), and Analytical Writing = 4.0.
- TOEFL, IELTS or MELAB scores for all international applicants.
- Our most competitive applicants have scores of at lest 100 (TOEFL iBT) or 240 (computer based). IELTS: 8.0 or MELAB: 86
- WE PREFER THE TOEFL TEST
- The minimum TOEFL score required by OSU: 79, IELTS: 7.0, MELAB: 82
- You are exempt if you are a citizen in one of the following countries: Australia, Belize, British Caribbeah, British West Indies, Canada (except Quebec), England, Guyana, Ireland, Liberia, New Zeland, Scotland, Wales, and The United States.
- If you receive a 4 year bachelor's degree or higher from a US institution or one of the countries listed above, you are exempt from the TOEFL requirement.
Average Test Scores for 2016 incoming Ph.D. students
Prerequisites for non chemical engineering majors:
We do occasionally admit students who have undergraduate degrees in subjects other than chemical engineering. However, these students will need to take make-up course work to succeed in our graduate program. These students must take the following undergraduate courses or have equivalent coursework in the following subject areas:
- Thermodynamics: CBE 3508
- Transport Phenomena (Momentum and Mass Transfers): CBE 2420 and 3521
- Chemical Engineering Kinetics: CBE 3610
- Engineering Mathematics (Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations): Math 2177 or equivalent