Office: CBEC 352
Rebecca Harmon is an Assistant Professional Practice Professor in the William G. Lowrie Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at The Ohio State University. She earned her B.S. in chemical engineering at Iowa State University in 2017 (Go Cyclones!), her M.S. from Northwestern University, and a joint Ph.D. from Northwestern University and the University of Amsterdam in 2022 funded by a National Science Foundation PIRE (Partnerships for International Research and Education) grant. She currently serves as chair of the communications committee in AIChE's Education Division.
As a graduate student, she investigated research questions at the intersection of cultural heritage science and chemical engineering. Her thesis is titled Computational modeling of polymerization and degradation of complex polymer systems and covers topics including the autoxidation of drying oils, polyolefin pyrolysis modeling, and new simulation methods for polymer reaction engineering. During her Ph.D., she also created several activities relating her research to STEM outreach efforts in the local community.
At Ohio State, Dr. Harmon is interested in implementing evidence-based effective teaching methods and supporting students' sense of belonging in the classroom and chemical engineering field. She also started a Teaching ChemE Journal Club for anyone interested in teaching and engineering education (email her if you would like to learn more).
Joint Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University & the University of Amsterdam, 2022
Thesis: Computational modeling of polymerization and degradation of complex polymer systems
Supervisors: Linda Broadbelt (NU) and Piet Iedema (UvA)
M.S. Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 2019
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 2017
- CBE 3610 Kinetics and Reactor Design (Autumn 2023)
- CBE 3730/1 Unit Operations (Autumn 2023)
- CBE 2345 Computational Methods for Chemical Engineering (Spring 2024)
- CBE 2420 Transport Phenomena I (Spring 2023)
- American Institute for Chemical Engineers (AIChE); Education Division
- American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE); Chemical Engineering Division
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Advisor to Ohio Gamma Chapter of TBP https://org.osu.edu/tbp/
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)