- Professor of Practice, Chemical & Biomolecular Eng
151 W. Woodruff Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
- Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 1997
- 2 patents
University Awards and Honors
The Ohio State University:
- Ralph L. Boyer Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Engineering Innovation, College of Engineering 2019
- Faculty FIT: Mentor, University Institute for Teaching and Learning 2018 (Foundation, Impact, Transformation mentoring program)
- Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching 2017; Ohio State's highest teaching honor
John Clay, who was Kurt Koelling's first graduate student, got his Ph.D. from Ohio State in 1997. He then joined Battelle Memorial Institute, a contract research and development organization. He has a passion for teaching and was an adjunct faculty member at OSU since 2003 before taking on a larger role as a CBE clinical professor in 2013. One of his primary roles is to run the CBE Unit Ops laboratory.
Papers in Proceedings
- Thurston, R.M.; Clay, J.D.; Schulte, M.D. "Effect of atmospheric plasma treatment on the surface energy of polymers." (12 2005).
- Thurston, R.M.; Clay, J.D. "Tensile testing of microtomed sections from molded parts." (6 2004).
- Clay, J.D.; Thurston, R.M. "Microrheology and melt index calculations of polymer melts." (10 2003).
- Clay, J.D.; Koelling, K.W. "Degradation of concentrated polymer solutions under extensional flow." in Topical Conference on Polymers, sponsored by AIChE and the Polymer Processing Society.
- Clay, J.D.; Vijayendran, B.R.; Moon, J.K. "Gelling studies in phenol resorcinol formaldehyde (PRF)-soy protein adhesive systems." in American Oil Chemists Society.
- Clay, J.D.; Vijayendran, B. "Some Recent Studies on Soy Protein-Based Wood Adhesives." in Wood Adhesives 2000.
- Clay, J.D. "Melt index from a single pellet." in Society of Plastics Engineers Annual Technical Conference (SPE ANTEC).
- Clay, J.D.; Heggs, R.P. "Material challenges in medical micromolding applications." in Society of Plastics Engineers Annual Technical Conference (SPE ANTEC).
- Clay, J.D.; Vijayendran, B.R. "Some recent studies on renewable resource based industrial products." in American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE 2002).
- Clay, J.D. "Material challenges in medical micromolding applications." in Plastics in Medical Devices.