- HC Slip Slider Professorship, Chemical & Biomolecular Eng
151 W. Woodruff Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 2010
- B.S., The Ohio State University, 2004
Professor Brunelli's group advances our understanding of catalytic materials at the atomic level to convert abundant petroleum and biomass resources with high selectivity to valuable chemical and fuels. His research focuses on achieving atomic level control of the catalytic active sites in heterogeneous materials by creating novel designs and using advanced synthetic methods. These materials are interrogated through spectroscopic techniques that enable improved design. Brunelli's work has led to the scalable production of nanomaterials and an advanced understanding of molecular interactions that impact immobilized catalysts.
Named the H.C. Slip Slider Professor in the fall of 2018, Brunelli is currently one of only six endowed professors in the College of Engineering. He received the prestigious NSF CAREER Award in 2017 and holds 6 patents.
Reaction Chemistry & Engineering Emerging Investigator (2019).
2019 Lumley Research Award.
Robert Augustine Award.
2018 Influential Researcher.
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow.
National Merit Finalist.
Dow Outstanding Junior Award in Chemical Engineering.
NSF CAREER Award.
- "Use of Dual Atmospheric Microdischarges for Manipulating the Growth of Silicon Nanoparticles." 2006, Presented at AVS 53rd International Symposium and Exhibit,
Papers in Proceedings
- Brunelli, N.; Deshpande, N.; Whitaker, M.; Parulkar, A. "Tuning catalytic material design of zeolites and mesoporous materials to increase catalytic selectivity." (8 2018).
- Brunelli, N.; Deshpande, N.; Parulkar, A.; Joshi, R. et al. "Regioselectivity of epoxide ring opening with alcohols using heterogeneous Lewis acid catalysts." (8 2018).
- Brunelli, N.; Deshpande, N.; Yang, C-T.; Cho, E.H. et al. "Increasing conversion selectivity for biomass relevant reactions through molecularly tuning catalyst design." (8 2018).
- Brunelli, N.; Deshpande, N.; Kobayashi, T.; Yang, C-T. et al. "Tuning the molecular design of tertiary amine catalysts on amorphous mesoporous silica supports for glucose isomerization." (8 2018).
- Brunelli, N.; Whitaker, M.; Joshi, R.; Parulkar, A. "Molecular design of cooperative interactions for amorphous silica materials to tune catalytic selectivities." (4 2017).
- Brunelli, N.; Deshpande, N.; Whitaker, M.; Parulkar, A. et al. "Tuning the molecular design of catalytic materials to increase activity and selectivity for mesoporous silica materials." (8 2017).
- Brunelli, N.; Deshpande, N.; Pattanaik, L.; Sherman, K. et al. "Molecular design of cooperative interactions for heterogeneous catalytic materials to tune catalytic rates and selectivities." (3 2016).
- Brunelli, N.; Whitaker, M.; Deshpande, N.; Parulkar, A. "Molecular design of cooperative interactions for heterogeneous catalytic materials to tune catalytic rates and selectivities." (8 2016).
- Brunelli,Nicholas,A; Chepiga,Kathryn,M; Fang,Yan; Davies,Huw,ML; Jones,Christopher,W "Designing immobilized dirhodium carbenoid catalysts for high activity and enantioselectivity." (3 2014).
- Gill, C.S.; Chepiga, K.; Feng, Y.; Brunelli, N.A. et al. "Polymer and silica supported Ru and Rh carbene catalysts for asymmetric olefin cyclopropanation and C-H activation." (8 2014).
- Moschetta, E.G.; Brunelli, N.A.; Collier, V.E.; Lindy, G.I. et al. "The effects of alkyl linker length and pore size on the bifunctional catalytic activity of amine-functionalized silica materials for C-C bond formation." (1 2014).
- Long, W.; Brunelli, N.A.; Ping, E.W.; Didas, S.A. et al. "Pd-aminopolymer-silica hybrid catalysts for selective hydrogenation of alkynes to olefins." (4 2013).
- Jones, C.W.; Brunelli, N.A. "Acid-base bifunctional mesoporous silica in the aldol condensation reaction." (3 2012).