How To Apply
(Funding consideration - PhD Only)
(General Admission - NO FUNDING - MS)
October 1, 2018
December 7, 2018
March 1, 2019
September 1, 2018
November 30, 2018
March 1, 2019
Graduate Admissions Checklist
- Apply online at OSU Graduate Admissions Office website here: http://gradadmissions.osu.edu/grad_apply.html.
- Application fees are paid as a part of the online application process. This fee cannot be waived or deferred.
2. Supporting Documents (to be uploaded with your online application)
- Statement of Purpose:
A one to two page statement of purpose outlining your motivation for attending our program and your goals after receiving the degree. This essay allows you to express your interest in chemical and biomolecular engineering, describe what area(s) interest you the most, and goals that you have for applying the training received here. Since most of the material supplied with the application is little more than numbers, data, and grades, this statement allows you to "speak" to the faculty reviewing your file and gives them a glimpse into your motivations. Please be sure to include your full name on this document.
- Resume or CV:
Serves as a helpful means of summarizing the background of an applicants. Please keep the length of this document to under two pages. If possible, please include class rank in your CV.
Transcripts can be submitted electronically or as a hard copy. The can be submitted via the following means:
- Uploaded via the prompt in the online application
- Submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submitted via postal mail. The mailing address is located at the bottom of this page.
***DO NOT SUBMIT TRANSCRIPTS TO THE CBE DEPARTMENT FOR ANY REASON. THEY WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED OFFICIAL. THE DEPARTMENT WILL ACQUIRE COPIES OF YOUR TRANSCRIPTS THROUGH GRADUATE ADMISSIONS ONCE THEY ARE RECEIVED AND PROCESSED THERE.***
Note about Final Transcripts: If admitted, a final official copy of all transcripts will be required at that time by the Graduate Admissions Office unless one was provided by your school at the time you applied. A hard copy is not required as part of the application process. Transcripts are only considered official if they are submitted electronically or as a hard copy to the email address or mailing address above.
Ohio State students: Ohio State students do not need to submit copies of their Ohio State transcripts when they apply as those will be obtained internally.
Important: If admitted, a final official copy of all transcripts will be required at that time by the Graduate Admissions Office. A hard copy is not required as a part of the application process.
Ohio State students: Ohio State students are only required to submit transcripts from other institutions attended, if any. Ohio State transcripts will be obtained internally for the review process and do not need to be submitted with your application.
3. Three Letters of Recommendation
- Online submission: During the application process, applicants will be prompted to enter the e-mail addresses of their recommenders. The Graduate Admissions Office will automatically send an e-mail to these addresses with details on how to submit an online reference letter once you submit your online application. Applicants are encouraged to contact their references to be sure they received the instructions from the Graduate Admissions Office and have provided a recommendation.
4. Submit offical GRE and TOEFL (if applicable) Scores:
- GRE scores are required of all students
- TOEFL scores are required of all applicants whos native language is not English. No student will be considered for admission until proof of English is received. If a student receives a degree from a U.S. institution, TOEFL scores are not needed.
Note: Applicants must submit official scores via Educational Testing Services (ETS) to the OSU Admissions Office (institution code 1592, no department code is necessary).
Submitting Hard Copies of Documents
We strongly encourages applicants to submit any application materials electronically whenever possible, however we do understand that may not always be possible. In the event you cannot submit something via the electronic submission processes available, hard copies can be mailed to the following addresses:
The Ohio State University Graduate Admissions Office
(Express: FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.)
The Ohio State University
PO BOX 182004
Columbus, OH 43218-2004
281 West Lane Ave
Columbus, OH 43210-1132