You are here
3. GRADUATE PROGRAM
#26 in US NEWS & WORLD REPORT (2017)
ENROLLMENT (as of Fall 2015)
MS STUDENTS: 31
DOCTORAL STUDENTS: 74
Photos (available students)
2015 GRADUATE DEGREES
PhDs Granted: 15 (Avg of .7 per faculty)
- Aravind Asthagiri: Wenjia Luo, Li Pan, Simuck Yuk.
- Bhavik Bakshi: Rebecca Hanes.
- Jeffrey Chalmers: Clayton Deighan.
- Liang-Shih Fan: Samuel Bayham, Niranjani Deshpande, Aining Wang.
- Martin Feinberg: Daniel Knight.
- Winston Ho: Yuanxin Chen.
- Umit Ozkan: Anshuman Fuller.
- David Wood: Michael Coolbaugh, Elif Miskioglu.
- Jessica Winter: Qirui Fan.
- Barbara Wyslouzil: Viraj Modak.
- Samuel Bayham, Dissertation: “Iron-Based Coal Direct Chemical Looping Process for Power Generation: Experimental Aspects, Process Development, and Considerations for Commercial Scale” (Advisor: Liang-Shih Fan)
- Yuanxin Chen, Dissertation: “Polymer Membranes for Flue Gas Carbon Capture and Fuel Cell Application” (Advisor: Winston Ho)
- Michael Coolbaugh, Dissertation: “Recent Advances in Self-Cleaving Intein Tag Technology” (Advisor: David Wood)
- Clayton Deighan, Dissertation: “Particle Balances in Extracellular Vesicle Separations and Characterization of Fluorescent Nanoparticle” (Advisor: Jeffrey Chalmers)
- Niranjani Deshpande, Dissertation: “Calcium and Iron Oxide Reactivity Studies for Chemical Looping Applications of Clean Energy” (Advisor: Liang-Shih Fan)
- Qirui Fan, Dissertation: “Designing Photo-switchable Quantum Dots for Super Resolution Imaging” (Advisor: Jessica Winter)
- Anshuman Fuller, Dissertation: “Novel Perovskite-based electro-catalysts for Oxidative Dehydrogenation (ODH) of Ethane in an Electrochemical Membrane Reactor” (Advisor: Umit Ozkan)
- Rebecca Hanes, Dissertation: “Multidisciplinary modeling for sustainable engineering design and assessment” (Advisor: Bhavik Bakshi)
- Daniel Knight, Dissertation: “Reactor behavior and its relation to chemical reaction network structure” (Advisor: Martin Feinberg)
- Wenjia Luo, Dissertation: “First-Principles Study of Ethanol and Methanol Steam Reforming on Co-based Materials” (Advisor: Aravind Asthagiri)
- Viraj Modak, Dissertation: “Surface Freezing in n-alkanes: Experimental and Molecular Dynamics Studies” (Advisor: Barbara Wyslouzil)
- Elif Miskioglu, Dissertation: “Learning in Style: Investigation of Factors Impacting Student Success in Chemical Engineering at Individual and Team-Levels with a Focus on Student Learning Styles” (Advisor: David Wood)
- Li Pan, Dissertation: “First-Principles Studies of the Reactivity of Transition Metal Oxide Surfaces” (Advisor: Aravind Asthagiri)
- Aining Wang, Dissertation: “Electrical Capacitance Volume Tomography and its Applications in Multiphase Flow” (Advisor: Liang-Shih Fan)
- Simuck Yuk, Dissertation: “Enantiospecificity of Chiral Pt Nanostructures Grown on Chiral SrTiO3 Surfaces” (Advisor: Aravind Asthagiri)
Master of Science Degrees Granted: 6
- Bhavik Bakshi: Xiang Zhang.
- Liang-Shih Fan: Omar McGiveron.
- Martin Feinberg: Daniel Knight.
- Jessica Winter and Barbara Wyslouzil: Matthew Souva.
- Jacques Zakin: Prathamesh Karandikar, Andrew Maxson.
GRADUATE STUDENT AWARDS AND HONORS
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship: Angela Chen, William Levi Murch. Story
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Honorable Mention: Robert Warburton.
AIChE and DSM Science & Technology Award finalist - Yuanxin Chen.
ISIE Conference 2015, Travel Scholarship and Presentation, University of Surrey, UK, Varsha Gopalakrishnan. Rebecca Hanes also gave a presentation at this conference.
- North American Catalysis Society 2015 Kokes Award and Presentation, 24th annual meeting - Anshuman Fuller, Sreshtha Sinha Majumdar.
- North American Membrane Society (NAMS) 2015 Elias Klein Founders’ Travel Supplement Award - Varun Vakharia.
- North American Membrane Society (NAMS) Third Place Poster Award - Membrane Processes Category, Poster Paper Competition - Varun Vaharia. The poster, entitled “Water Vapor and CO2 Permeation through Amine-Containing Facilitated Transport Membranes and Their Modeling for Post-Combustion Carbon Capture,” was co-authored by Zi Tong and Winston Ho.
- AIChE's Sustainable Engineering Forum, Best Paper - Shweta Singh.
- American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR), First Prize, Poster Competition, 34th Conference - Yensil Park.
- Council of Graduate Students seat election: Jeffrey Ethier. Story
- 2015 University Fellowships: Saurabh Ailawar, Fanhe King, and Mingyuan Xu.
GUEST SEMINAR SPEAKERS
- Chase Beisel - North Carolina State University
- Lydia Contreras - University of Texas at Austin
- Liming Dai - Case Western Reserve University
- Prodromos Daoutidis - University of Minnesota
- Baolin Deng - University of Missouri-Columbia
- Thomas Edgar - University of Texas at Austin
- Sheryl Ehrman - University of Maryland
- Sharon Glotzer - University of Michigan
- Graduate Research Initiative Seminar: Gauri Nabar, Witopo Salim, Mandar Kathe
- Enrique Iglesia (Lowrie Lectures I and II) - University of California at Berkeley
- Li-Chiang Lin - Delft University of Technology
- Janet Macdonald - Vanderbilt University
- David Scholl - Georgia Institute of Technology
- Carlos Silvera Batista - University of Michigan
- Katelyn E. Swindle-Riley - University of Texas at San Antonio
- Gregory Szeto - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Ishi Talmon - Israel Institute of Technology
- Jason Weaver - University of Florida
- Jennifer Wilcox - Stanford University
- Karen Winey - University of Pennsylvania
- Yushan Yan - University of Delaware
- Nicole Zacharia - University of Akron
- Enrique Iglesia (Lowrie Lectureship) - University of California at Berkeley
DOW GRADUATE RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM
Lattice Biotech is an early-stage biopharmaceutical company commercializing novel anti-infective therapeutics based on technology invented at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, OH. Triplett is responsible for corporate strategy, operational execution, and generating a positive return for Lattice’s shareholders.