(General Admission - NO FUNDING)
|Domestic||CLOSED||Dec 15 - CLOSED||March 1 - CLOSED|
|International||CLOSED||Nov 30 - CLOSED||March 1 - CLOSED|
Graduate Admissions Checklist
- Apply online at OSU Graduate Admissions Office website here.
- Application fees are paid as a part of the online application process; $40 for domestic applicants, $50 (US funds) for international applicants. This fee cannot be waived or deferred.
2. Supporting Documents (to be uploaded with your online application)
Transcripts*: Applicants can upload a scanned
copy of one official transcript per
institution attended in the Previous Education section of the
application. You do not need to mail in official transcripts.
Official copies will be requested upon admission.
Statement of Purpose:
A one to two page statement of purpose outlining your motivation for attending our program and your goals after receiving the degree. This essay allows you to express your interest in chemical and biomolecular engineering, describe what area(s) interest you the most, and goals that you have for applying the training received here. Since most of the material supplied with the application is little more than numbers, data, and grades, this statement allows you to "speak" to the faculty reviewing your file and gives them a glimpse into your motivations. Please be sure to include your full name on this document.
Resume or CV:
Serves as a helpful means of summarizing the background of an applicants. Please keep the length of this document to under two pages
Note: if the above materials are not ready at the time you apply, you can submit them via e-mail to email@example.com, or you can mail hard copies to the CBE Department. The address is below.
3. Three Letters of Recommendation
There are two options for submitting letters of recommendation:
- Online submission (Preferred): During the application process, applicants will be prompted to enter the e-mail addresses of their recommenders. The Graduate Admissions Office will automaticall send an e-mail to these addresses with details on how to submit an online reference letter once you submit your online application. Applicants are encouraged to contact their references to be sure they received the instructions from the Graduate Admissions Office and have provided a recommendation.
- Hard-copy submission: Hard copy recommendations are also accepted. Hard-copy letters of recommendation must be on official letterhead, signed and mailed to the CBE Department in a sealed envelope. Recommendation letters on plain paper are not accepted. Each letter must be attached to an official Graduate School Reference Form, which is to be completed by the recommender.
4. Submit offical GRE and TOEFL (if applicable) Scores:
- GRE scores are required of all students to be considered for funding
- TOEFL scores are required of all applicants whos native language is not English. No student will be considered for admission until proof of English is received.
Note: Applicants must submit official scores via Educational Testing Services (ETS) to the OSU Admissions Office (institution code 1592, no department code is necessary).
* Hard Copies of Official Transcripts:
Uploaded soft copies of your transcritps are preferred, however, if you cannot upload soft copies of your transcripts, you can mail in hard copy official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended or are now attending. Addresses are below.
- One copy of the transcript(s) is to be sent to the Graduate Admissions Office
- The second copy is to go to the CBE Department
Note Ohio State students: For students who graduated from Ohio State with their Bachelor's degree, it is not necessary to submit any transcripts unless you attended another institution. You will need to submit those transcripts again, regardless of whether or not you have submitted them to Ohio State previously.
Sending transcripts and letters in one package: Yes, you can do this. Please make sure you have two envelopes in the package: one for the department and one for admissions. You can send the package to either the CBE Department or Graduate Admissions, however please make sure the destination of the envelops is clearly marked on the outside of the envelopes so it can be forwared to the correct office.
Addresses for Applicant Documents
The Ohio State University Graduate Admissions Office
(Express: FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.)
The Ohio State University
PO BOX 182004
Columbus, OH 43218-2004
281 West Lane Ave
Columbus, OH 43210-1132
The William G. Lowrie Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
125A Koffolt Laboratory
140 West 19th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210