In the US, the government does not pay for health care. Therefore all OSU students are required to have health insurance during all semesters of enrollment. All immediate family members living with the student must also have health insurance (if applicable). All students will be automatically enrolled into the Student Health Insurance Plan's Comprehensive Plan.
Students may waive this health insurance by the 15th day of the quarter by providing proof of comparable coverage (see link below for details).
This information applies to both domestic and international students:
- All OSU graduate students are automatically enrolled in the OSU Student Health Insurance Comprehensive Plan.
- The OSU Student Health Insurance policy coverage begins seven days before the first day of the quarter of enrollment.
- The semester cost for OSU Student Health Insurance is added to your tuition and fee statement (see note to GRA's below).
- Student Health Insurance Plan rates [a link to a coming academic year's costs will be posted during the preceding Summer. Note that health insurance is billed to our students per semester.]
- For more detailed information about the policy call 1-800-254-2461, or visit the OSU Health Insurance Plan.
If you have been awarded a GRA or Fellowship
85% of the student's quarterly health insurance premiums are paid by the research project on which the student is funded. The balance of the premium payments will be automatically deducted from the student's monthly stipend check. In other words there will not be a single premium payment due at the start of each quarter. Instead, these payments will be deducted from your monthly stipend payment.
For more information please visit the Student Health Insurance website: http://shi.osu.edu/index.asp.
General Health Care Services for OSU
All enrolled OSU students may use the Wilce Student Health Center. The center provides a full range of services, including general medical care, some dental care, and gynecological and optometry examinations. Fees for regular office visits are waived for enrolled students. Students are charged for medical tests, laboratory procedures, and prescriptions, and can submit those bills to their insurance company. (Family members cannot use the student health center; contact the Wilce Health Center for a listing of community health care providers.)
The Health Center is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. For medical care outside of these hours, contact or go to the Prompt Care area of the OSU Hospitals Emergency Department, 450 W. 10th Ave. 293-4010
OSU Student Health Center 1875 Millikin Road (map
showing Wilce Center--building 294, lower center of
Student Wellness Center 292-4527
Dental Care Appointments 292-4321
Advice Nurse 292-3301
OSU Student Health Insurance Plan web site